Pinterest Protest

Pinterest is making us all crazy.   "30 days to teaching your 3 year old fluent French,"  "21 days to sculpted triceps," "How to make your home look like Joanna Gaines."  It's like a magazine cover that never ends.

So when it came to planning the boys' first real birthday party, of course I went straight to Pinterest.   I agonized over a theme.  Where The Wild Things Are?  Where can I get a wolf suite for a one year old?  Maybe he would like trains better?  Or construction equipment?  Is $75 too much to pay for a birthday cake?  How many people should we invite?  If I invited all the kids we know that would be about 45 people... too many?  Don't they need matching birthday shirts?
S T O P the madness. Have mercy.
Listen girls, this is nuts.  They are kids.  My children got $700 worth of toys for Christmas, and that's a conservative estimate.  Guess what their favorite toys are today?  The nose sucker we got when they were born, a tiny whisk (which was actually my gift), and a set of wooden blocks.  Why do we do this to ourselves?  There's no trophy at the end of my panic attack over cake pops.
But Netflix documentaries always get the best of this girl, and thankfully I watched Minimalism two weeks before their birthday, instead of "How to Be a Pinterest Perfect Mom."
So I jumped off the crazy train.  I made chili, and cupcakes.  Our guest list includes grandparents, and 2 sets of close friends with their families.  I didn't order invitations, I sent text messages.  I didn't buy special paper plates that match the napkins that match the cups.  I'm using our regular dishes.  I kindly requested that our guests bring no toys as gifts, only books, puzzles, or crafts.  I picked up 8 balloons an hour before the party.  I didn't have a special game planned for the kids to play.  Y'all I didn't even make party favors.  I can hear my mother gasp and grab her pearl necklace from 3 counties away.
There were a few confused looks, "Y'all are using your own dishes?  Really?  But then you have to wash them."  That's why we have a dishwasher hun.  Let's utilize our resources.  "Y'all don't have cokes??"  Absolutely not.  As if cupcakes didn't provide enough sugar for these kids, you think I'm going to pour liquid go-juice down the throats of 4 children all under the age of 12 in my house?  I would have just called a demolition crew if I wanted to destroy the place.
The kids played together outside, and the adults passed the baby around for 3 hours which is all he ever wants in his life.

http://selfproclaimedfoodie.com/heavenly-homemade-chocolate-cupcakes/

Chili
1/2 yellow pepper diced
1/2 orange pepper diced
1 onion diced
1 Tbps minced garlic
2 lbs ground beef
2 cans chili hot beans
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans diced fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
1 can rotel, undrained
Chili powder
Cumin
Salt, pepper

Spicy Vegetarian Chili
1/2 yellow pepper, diced
1/2 orange pepper, diced
1 onion diced
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 can rotel, undrained
1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
1 diced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, seeds removed + about 1 Tbsp of adobo sauce
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
Chili powder
Ground cumin
Salt, pepper


Comments

Popular Posts