Home Grown Tomato Sandwich


In the summer time, I could live off of them. I dream about them in January when all you can find in the grocery stores are tasteless, grainy tomatoes from the other side of the world. Nothing compares to a vine-ripened heirloom tomato grown in Southern ground. I can remember thinking how disgusting I thought it was when I used to watch my Mom and Grandmother eat home-grown tomato sandwiches for lunch. Not until I was 23 did I understand the appeal. My favorite way to eat tomato sandwiches is using white bread, a couple teaspoons of mayonnaise (I use mayo made with olive oil, but apparently Duke's is popular throughout the South), a sprinkle of salt, freshly ground black pepper, a couple of torn basil leaves, and 3 or 4 thick slices of tomato. Now, where to find these jewels of summer. Your best decision would be to grow your own. It's free after all, and available whenever you want in your own back yard. Your second best bet would be to head to your local Farmer's Market. I would never suggest buying them from the grocery store, because there they ripen after being picked rather than being vine-ripened, leaving them virtually tasteless. After you've had the real thing, nothing compares.

Comments

Popular Posts