Adventures in Cake Baking


My hot hot mess of a cake.


Evidence suggests that it still tasted alright.

Tonight I decided to go ahead and bake the cake required for class on Saturday. I had no worries, I've baked many cakes in the past, and this would be simple. Wrong. I used a cake mix, and the cake tastes fine, in fact Alex says it "tastes great babe!" But half of the cake stuck to the bottom of the pan. I called my mom in distress, because she used to bake and decorate cakes for weddings, parties, etc. She said "well Suzie, you have to jiggle it a little, then put a plate on top and flip it upside down." So I did as instructed with the second pan of cake (because it's a layer cake) but had the same result. Half of the cake stuck to the pan. I used Pam, which Mom says has always worked just fine for her. There is some product Cake Release, or something like that made by Wilton (a cake decorating supplies company) that our instructor suggested, but it's expensive. So I guess I will be making another cake tomorrow, as well as icing from scratch. I am so frustrated, I want to go to Kroger right now and buy another mix to try again. I would, if it weren't 9:30 pm and I didn't have to be at work at 7 am. Hopefully tomorrow will bring better luck.

Comments

  1. I have had the same thing happen to me with the cake sticking even after using Pam... Did you figure anything else out that could have caused it?? I hope Friday brought you more luck... I'm sure your cake turned out great. : ) Alex's comment reminds me so much of Michael... : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did, my boss suggested Pam for baking, apparently it has flour in it, and it worked out better. I used too much, but at least it didn't stick. Lol, I know Alex's comment made me laugh, especially since before he said that my status was "Suzie is making a lemon cake!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh okay. I probably have done the same thing. Just another wonderful kitchen experience. : ) Ha ha, ya I always want to post what I'm baking or cooking on Facebook, but I'm so worried that if it's a complete bomb, I won't want to say anymore about it! : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts