Fall Pot Roast


Growing up I couldn't wait for fall, because when the weather started to get cooler my grandmother would announce, "It's pot roast weather!"  Everyone looked forward to her roast, and she never had leftovers.  My recipe is a little different from hers.  I add more vegetables (dietitian, what can I say?) and herbs, and I also cook mine in the oven rather than on the stove top.  I was excited to make this today because it's the first time I've used the dutch oven in several months (!!!).  You could also throw this in the crock pot on low for about 7 hours.  I have tomatoes listed as "optional" because Alex doesn't like them, but I think they are great, so if there are no tomato-haters in your house, by all means use them.  The sweet potatoes are an unexpected addition, they add great flavor, not to mention more vitamins (dietitian again).  You can't have pot roast without cornbread... keep that in mind.

Yields 4-6 servings
Prep time: ~30 minutes
Cook time: ~ 3 hours

Ingredients:
Chuck roast (mine was about 2 or 3 pounds)
Salt & Pepper
All purpose flour
Canola oil
2 to 3 carrots, chopped
1 medium onion chopped
2 to 3 celery stalks chopped

2  to 3 garlic cloves, minced
2 small sweet potatoes chopped
~ 4 yukon gold potatoes, quartered
2 cups warm water
1 chicken bouillon cube
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dried rosemary
2 to 3 tsp marjoram
1 can golden mushroom soup
1 can diced tomatoes (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Heat canola oil in a dutch oven.
Mix together flour, salt and pepper.  Coat the roast in the flour mixture, shaking off excess.  Add to the dutch oven.  Sear on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.  Remove the roast from the dutch oven and set aside.  Add more canola oil if needed.  Add the onions, carrots, and celery to the dutch oven.  Saute until the onions are translucent.  Add the garlic, salt and pepper.  Add the potatoes and herbs.  Toss to coat.  Add the can of mushroom soup and tomatoes if using.  Dissolve bouillon cube in 2 cups of water, add to the pot.  Add the roast back to the pot, bring to a boil, cover and place in the oven.  Cook for about an hour at 325 degrees, lower the heat to 250 degrees and cook for the remaining 1 1/2 hours.

Comments

  1. If I ate meat, I would totally devour that. It looks delish! And I'm so jealous that you have a dutch oven, and I don't. :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts