Taco Soup

Today I was looking over my food board on Pinterest, and realized that I have at least 4 different recipes pinned for taco soup.  Time for a moment of self-reflection, "...wow.  I really love taco soup."  I've been anticipating cooler weather so that I have a good excuse for making soup, and decided to take advantage today.  The perfect meal for watching football.  This recipe is adapted from a chicken taco soup recipe on my Pinterest board.  I left out the chicken and made a couple of tweaks.  This would make a great crock pot meal.  Enjoy!

1 medium onion diced
1 to 2 cloves garlic
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can chili hot beans
1 can Rotel
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
~ 1/2 cup frozen corn
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
Pepper to taste
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Canola oil
* 1 cup vegetable broth - I added this because the soup turned out a little too thick for me, but if you like thicker soup omit.

Heat canola oil over medium heat in a large sauce pan.  Saute the onion (if you are making this in a crock pot, you can skip this step, just throw the onions into the crock pot).  When the onions are translucent, add the garlic, saute for a few more minutes.  Add black beans and the next 9 ingredients (and broth if using).  Bring to a simmer, turn the heat to low, cook for another 30 to 45 minutes.  Serve with sour cream, cilantro, tortilla chips, shredded cheese or hot sauce (extra spicy!) If using your crock pot, omit the canola oil, add all the ingredients to the crock pot and cook on low for about 4 hours.
Serves 3 to 4 (or one pregnant lady with cravings for spicy food).


Comments

Popular Posts