The Dreaded Weeknight Meal

I cringe at the thought of it. I feel an immense amount of pressure during the week to provide dinner that consists of: protein (usually meat of Alex's preference), at least 2 vegetables, and a starch. I read blogs, search Food Network's website, read through new and old issues of Southern Living and solicit ideas from co-workers, all the while begging the question: What's for dinner??? I visit the grocery a minimum of 4 times a week (a week!) because I never plan ahead. Yes, we have dinner for tonight, but what will we have tomorrow? That's too much pressure for one grocery store trip, we'll worry about that tomorrow. So this is my dilemma. My Achille's heel in the kitchen. I, however, am the only person putting these expectations on myself. This week I was reminded that my husband could care less if dinner consists of something elaborate, when he texted me Tuesday afternoon asking, "Can we have tuna sandwiches for dinner?" ... yes! I didn't even have to go to the store, we already had everything in the pantry. This week I am trying to keep simplicity in mind, and trying to help myself out a little by planning ahead (let's see how long this lasts...) Results to follow, hopefully along with some new summer recipes to try.

Comments

  1. I can relate SO much to this post! I think determining what's for dinner has been one of the most challenging things for me since becoming a wife. When it was just me, I would just eat whatever I wanted to...fancy, not fancy, quick, whatever. Now, I have to make sure it's something I want AND something Michael wants. Plus, when I want to make something "fancy", I usually always have to go to the grocery...I can relate to going to the grocery at least 4 times a week! I guess it's just about finding a balance. I'm thankful Michael likes to cook every now and then, but it's really something that bothers me on a regular basis...trying to determine, "What's for dinner?" So, you're not alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I know it's nuts. Sometimes he does his own thing, and I just pop a veggie burger in the microwave with relief. This week we did: tilapia and broccoli slaw, chicken sandwiches and tomato, cucumber, onion salad, tacos, flank steak and roasted potatoes, and maybe we'll do omelet's tomorrow. We often get in a rut though, where I rotate the same 5 meals over and over... boring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of that sounds amazing!! A good variety! Yes, we rotate meals, too. Here lately I've been so uneasy around food, we've had to fix a lot of different stuff. So, maybe that's a good thing. :) Good luck with meals for the rest of the week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts