Fried Green Tomatoes



My grandmother makes these every summer with tomatoes from her garden. I can't take much credit, this recipe is hers. I only alter one thing - I sprinkle mine with a little hot sauce. Make sure you use a very firm green tomato, otherwise they will come out mushy, and that's not what you want. Serve them over fresh spring greens, and that's enough for me to call dinner. Channel your inner Paula Deen and get to it!

Green tomato
Cornmeal
Salt
Pepper
Canola oil

Heat a skillet over medium heat, use just enough canola oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Slice the tomato, about 1/4 inch thick (thick enough so they don't fall apart when you fry them). Sprinkle the slices with salt and pepper. Dredge the tomato slices in cornmeal, shaking off any excess. Add them to the skillet, flipping them when they are golden brown. When they have just browned on both sides, remove them from the skillet, drain on paper towels to remove excess oil. Serve hot.

Comments

Popular Posts