Meatless Meaty Pasta Sauce

Leftover lentil loaf + marinara sauce = the best meatless meaty spaghetti sauce.  Lentils are high in protein, folic acid, and fiber, aka a dietitian's idea of a top 10 food.  Also, extremely cheap and easy to cook.  A one pound bag of lentils costs less than $1, and only take about 15 or 20 minutes to cook, no pre-soaking required.  I found the recipe for lentil loaf on Pinterest... of course.  I left out the BBQ sauce.  Lentils are the perfect substitute for ground beef, I like to use them for tacos as well.  Having a husband who is a meat eater definitely requires some creativity from a vegetarian's standpoint.  That's why I'm such a fan of lentils - they cook really quickly, and I can season them just like I would ground beef, so it doesn't feel like I'm cooking 2 separate meals at once.  Even if you're not a vegetarian, try it!  Lentils (or any variety of beans in place of meat) have less calories, more vitamins, and are very filling. Now I'm getting hungry...

Comments

Popular Posts