Baby Carrots

As promised, my first post about making baby food.  I went to the farmer's market Saturday morning and bought lots of carrots, squash, and peaches for my half-hippie baby.  Also, since this is my first adventure in making baby food, I had to swing by Kroger and get a couple of essentials: ice trays and plastic freezer bags.  The process start to finish was super simple (and so much cheaper than buying jars of baby food!)  I decided to tackle carrots first.

Rinse and peel carrots, chop into large chunks.  Steam for several minutes until tender.  Drain and set aside to cool.  Puree the carrots in a food processor until smooth, using water to thin the carrots as needed (I used about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup).  Spoon into ice trays, freeze, then store the cubes in a labeled and dated plastic freezer bag.  That's it!  The method is basically the same for most veggies, just steam, puree, and freeze.  Most fruits can be washed, pureed and frozen without any cooking (although I plan to boil the peaches for a couple of minutes to make the skins easy to remove).

Carrot ice cubes! 
Price breakdown:
Cost per serving of Gerber Organic Carrots: $.75
Cost per serving of homemade organic carrots: $.12

Can't beat it with a stick!

So here's my crazy pregnancy story of the day.  I drained the steamy carrots over the sink into a colander (they smelled so good!) and I thought to myself "baby Drake, you are going to love these yummy carrots!"  (Like the baby can read my thoughts or something.  Ignore me.)  Then it hit me that in less than a year my Little Bit will be sitting in the kitchen munching away on these carrots, and I got teary eyed.  Seriously who cries over carrots?  I mean really.  Only pregnant chicks.  How embarrassing.

Comments

Popular Posts