Tofu

Yesterday was my first experience with a block of tofu. I have cooked with tofu in the past, mostly during college, but I bought it already cubed and threw it into whatever I was making - stirfry, pasta with marinara sauce, etc. I had to review some vegan blogs before tackling the soy creation. To prepare tofu, you first have to drain the water, then place it between two kitchen towels or paper towels, place a skillet on top and let it sit for several minutes to help drain off the excess water. I used extra firm tofu. I wanted to have it for lunch in a pita with some veggies. This is how I made mine: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. After draining most of the water from the tofu, slice into 1/2 inch pieces. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Mix the following ingredients together: 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 tablespoon yellow mustard 2 tablespoons dijon mustard 1 tsp Italian herbs (I used a dried blend, use fresh if available) 4 Tbsp olive oil Pour the mixture over the slices of tofu. Bake for about 15 minutes. I like the way it turned out. Alex tasted it, he was less than thrilled, but he's not much of a tofu eater :) Can't wait for lunch today!

Comments

Popular Posts