Tastes Like Home


I almost didn't post this, (there's hardly anything to it) but it's just so darn good. This was my favorite meal this week. Alex usually has one night a week where he wants hamburgers or ham sandwiches, leaving me to my own devices. I was in the mood for a taste of home. This is something my grandmother would make during the week for lunch, usually in the summertime, because she didn't want to turn the stove on and "heat up the whole house." These recipes are difficult to put into writing, I never measure anything, I just keep adding until it looks right. So this is what comes out of my kitchen when I take a trip down memory lane. Good thing we didn't have turnip greens in the fridge, I would have had the whole house stinking.

Skillet Cornbread (aka hoe cakes)
~1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of self-rising cornmeal (keep in mind I am cooking for one with this amount)
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 egg
~1/3 cup of almond milk
~1/4 cup canola oil

Heat skillet over medium heat, add enough canola oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Mix all of the ingredients together, this should be a little thicker than pancake batter. Add the batter to the pan in spoonfulls, flip them when you see a couple of bubbles on top. Drain on paper towels to remove excess oil.

Tomatoes and cucumbers - I just toss some sliced tomatoes and sliced cucumbers together with a few slices of onion, a splash of apple-cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Let sit for about 15 minutes, toss before serving.

Black-eyed peas - 1 (15 oz) can of black eyed peas, ~ 1/4 of an onion, pepper. I don't drain the liquid, heat over low heat in a small saucepan, covered. I usually put these on the stove first, and by the time everything else is done these are ready to go.

Comments

Popular Posts