Weekend Pancakes


I love getting up on Saturday morning and making breakfast for me and Alex. This morning we decided on pancakes. We had some real maple syrup in the pantry from Trader Joe's, and I think having the real thing could quickly turn me into a maple syrup snob. This recipe makes about 9 or 10 3-inch pancakes

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons honey
Cooking spray

Stir together the first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the egg, buttermilk, and honey, stirring until well-blended.
Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto a hot, light greased griddle or skillet. Cook 1-2 minutes or until the top begins to bubble and the edges begin to brown. Turn and cook another minute. Serve immediately.
My egg guilt: For the past few times I've bought eggs at the grocery store, I have felt terrible for buying the cheap store brand eggs. After reading books and watching documentaries about the food industry, I know that I don't agree with the treatment of the hens used for egg laying. I guess the only thing stopping me was that they cost more. (And the fact that Alex thinks I'm crazy and my dad thinks all of this organic mess is "hippie nonsense.") But yesterday I bought a carton, so I feel a little less guilty about eggs. My only way of getting guilt-free eggs is when I can manage to get them from people at work who raise chickens, so I know that my eggs came from happy chickens. But I digress, enough about eggs. Go eat some pancakes.
Buttermilk Rant: Also! I always kick myself when I buy buttermilk for baking, then I get home and remember that you can easily make buttermilk by mixing together 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice and a cup of milk (I use almond milk, but you could use any kind, soy, cows milk, etc.) Maybe next time I will remember.

Comments

Popular Posts