Homemade Hummus


Today while I was grocery shopping, I picked up a container of the usual type of hummus that I buy, ready for fork up $4.39 for some chick peas and olive oil. Then, I thought better, and picked up a can of chick peas instead ($0.69). Just about every recipe I found called for tahini paste... and I don't have any of that (whatever it is...show my culinary ignorance). So this is my recipe, after a few tweaks, and could maybe use a few more depending on your taste.

1 can chick peas, drained
2 teaspoons oregano
Juice of 1 lemon
2 garlic cloves
~ 2 tablespoons of water
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil (about 1/4 cup... maybe. I kept adding it until I got the texture I was looking for)

Comments

  1. Tahini is ground up sesame seed, and it does add a really important flavor to the hummus. You can find it pretty much anywhere, typically in the asian section or I've found it in the organic/kosher section. Its there, you just have to hunt for it. Come over and borrow some of mine!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts