Lemon Chicken

Today was one of my "I have no idea what we are going to eat for dinner" type of days.  Don't you hate those days?  So what do I do?  Google.  That's right.  I Google "what's for dinner?"  I browsed through a few things and came across a recipe for lemon chicken.  When I find a recipe for something random, I always look for the same recipe on FoodNetwork.com ... they usually have a better version [kicked up a notch... bam!].  The first recipe Food Network listed was one of Barefoot Contessa's (whom I adore).  So I gave it a try.  We both approve of this dish (even the one that eats meat like once every 2 weeks).  My favorite thing about it?  It's shamefully easy.  You literally throw it in the oven and forget about it for 30 minutes.  Enjoy.

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 3-4 servings

Ingredients:
2 boneless chicken breasts, skin on
1 carrot, roughly chopped
1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
1/2 onion, quartered
2 cloves garlic, chopped
~1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup white wine
Zest of one lemon
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 lemon, quartered
1 tsp thyme
2 tsp oregano
Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Lay the vegetables in a 13x9 inch baking dish.  Heat the olive oil over low-medium heat.  Add the garlic.  Cook for 60 seconds.  Remove from heat.  Add the chicken broth, wine, lemon zest and juice, and spices.  Pour the mixture over the vegetables.  Place the chicken breasts on top of the vegetables, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.  Remove from the oven, tent with aluminum foil for about 10 minutes, serve.
*Side note - the carrots and celery are not in the original recipe, I just had them on hand and needed to use them, they add good flavor but are not totally necessary.
*Another side note- Alex, trying be very nice, tried to eat the carrots without complaining about it... they are not meant for consumption!  They are just there to add flavor.  "The chicken is great, but the carrots are a little, um... crunchy?"  Haha, poor guy.

Comments

Popular Posts