Valentine's Day Dinner

Eye of round roast with scalloped potatoes and asparagus.

After much guidance from a good friend of mine, who is a prime rib veteran to say the least, I decided to tackle it myself on Valentine's Day. I got to the meat counter, and they did not have prime rib. Plan B (as recommended by the butcher): eye of round roast. I used the same recipe and technique, and it turned out perfect. Alex absolutely loved it… and we actually ate at our dinner table, with the TV off. A conversation over dinner? What a novel idea. I also decided to make a red wine reductions sauce for dipping the roast, and it was also wonderful. I cannot replace the unadulterated joy I experience when feeding a man who need give me no other compliment, just going back for seconds is enough praise. Alex requests that I make these potatoes at least every couple of weeks. Try it the next time you cook for someone, but make sure it is someone you like. They are sure to come back for more.

I used both of these recipes from Food Network, which I am hopelessly devoted to with daily searches for my next culinary venture.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/roast-prime-rib-of-beef-with-horseradish-crust-recipe/index.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/scalloped-potato-gratin-recipe/index.html

For the asparagus, I heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet to medium heat. Cut the fibrous ends off the asparagus. Toss the asparagus in the pan once the pan is hot. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Toss the asparagus around in the pan to be sure it cooks evenly. Depending on the thickness of the asparagus, they should be done in 5 minutes or less.


Comments

Popular Posts