Pan Fried Tilapia with Broccoli Slaw and Homemade Tartar Sauce

I make this almost weekly. My husband and I both love it because it reminds us of my father-in-law’s wonderful fried catfish. When my father-in-law would make this for us, my mother-in-law always served French fries and coleslaw on the side (and she always made extra fries for me). I typically make oven roasted potatoes and broccoli coleslaw with cranberries. Broccoli slaw offers more nutrients than coleslaw made with cabbage. Also, stop buying tartar sauce! Making your own is so simple, and tastes better.

Tilapia Filets (1-2 per person)

Old Bay Seasoning (I also use Emeril’s Bayou seasoning)

Cornmeal (about ¾ to 1 cup, depending on how many filets)

Canola oil for pan frying

Heat a sauté pan to medium heat. Add a few tablespoons of canola oil to the pan. Sprinkle each filet on both sides with seasoning. Add 2-3 teaspoons of seasoning to the cornmeal and mix together. Dredge the seasoned filets in the cornmeal. Add the filets to the hot pan, and cook on both sides until golden brown.

Tartar sauce

¼ to ½ cup of mayonnaise

2-3 tablespoons of sweet pickle relish

Garlic power, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. ( I never measure, just a good sprinkle of each, only a pinch of salt).

Mix all ingredients together and serve.

Broccoli Slaw:

1 bag of ready-cut broccoli slaw

3/4 cup low fat mayo

1 cup sour cream

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1/2 cup of dried cranberries

Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together and serve chilled.

Comments

Popular Posts