French Dip Sandwiches

I love meals that I can put in the crock pot in the morning, and when I come home from work, dinner is basically ready.  This recipe, like most crock pot recipes, is extremely simple.  Literally throw in all the ingredients, turn the heat to low and walk away.  Alex really loves these sandwiches, and poor Luie has to sit in the house and smell the roast cooking all day. (Gotta love coming home to a drooling puggle).  Hope your spouse and dogs enjoy as much as mine.
The size of the chuck roast needed is an estimation, I always buy the smallest one I can find, and it's still enough to last us 3 days.  I put the measurements for the spices out to the side because I never measure, I just keep adding until it looks right to me.

Chuck roast (~3-4 lbs)
All purpose flour (~ 1/2 cup)
Salt and pepper
Canola Oil
1/4 to 1/3 cup of soy sauce
1 package beef and onion soup mix
Garlic powder (~1 tsp)
Onion powder (~ 1 tsp)
1 Bay leaf
Rosemary (~1 Tbsp)
Thyme (~ 1 to 1 1/2 tsp)
Water, enough to almost cover the roast

Heat the oil in a large skillet, just enough to coat the pan.  On a plate, mix together flour, salt and pepper.  Rub the roast with the flour mixture, making sure to cover the sides.  Add the roast to the skillet, sear on both sides for a couple of minutes, until browned.  Put the roast in the crock pot, add all the spices and water.  Turn the crock pot to low, cook for about 6 hours, or until the meat pulls apart easily with a fork.
Serve with warm French rolls, Swiss cheese, and a cup of the broth (au jus) on the side for dipping.

Comments

Popular Posts