Butternut Squash Risotto

Last night I thought "butternut squash risotto made with brown rice sounds soooo good!"  And I was right... but not after much experimenting.  I roasted the butternut squash at 400 degrees for about an hour and cooked brown rice according to package directions.  I mixed a little almond milk with the butternut squash then mashed it with a potato masher, seasoned with salt, pepper, parsley, and thyme.  I mixed in the rice and some walnuts and gave it a taste... bland.  Added a couple teaspoons of basil pesto... better.  Added a sprinkle of parmesan cheese... oh my goodness give me 4 bowls full right now.    Well, I was trying to avoid using the cheese.  Didn't work here.  I'm trying to find an alternative, maybe nutritional yeast?  I haven't been able to find it at Kroger, I may have to venture to Whole Foods.  Sounds like a great excuse for a Whole Foods trip to me.

Comments

  1. For some more flavor without using cheese, brown some butter and saute the butternut squash in it until the squash is soft. It's a step in the right direction, right? :-) Then all you need is some simple "winter flavor" herbs (sage, rosemary, thyme, etc) and maybe a pinch of salt and pepper to make it taste deliciously not bland!

    ~Meagan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a theory that brown rice sucks the flavor out of everything.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts