Kale, how do I love thee?

My "cheerleader for kale" attitude took a serious turn for the worst last night when I thought to myself "... I want a t-shirt that says 'k is for kale'."  In spite of my wackiness, my enthusiasm isn't unwarranted. In the past few years kale has gone from a garnish to a full-blown superhero, finding its way into side dishes, soups, even smoothies (can you think of anybody who was drinking fruity tasting swamp water 5 years ago?  I didn't think so).  So, what's so great about kale?  Lots of things!  Let's start with nutrients.  Kale packs a huge bang for it's buck when it comes to vitamins and minerals, meaning that in  a single serving of kale you get: enough vitamins A, C, and K needed for the day, lots of fiber, calcium, potassium, and vitamin B 6, and good amounts of vitamin E, folate, iron, and omega -3.  It's practically a multivitamin packed into a vegetable.  New research has also shown that kale has cholesterol-lowering benefits, cancer fighting components, and contains over 45 different varieties of flavonoids (plant-based compounds with antioxidant properties that reduce inflammation, promote healthy blood vessels, and aid in repairing cellular damage).  Now you've just got to fit it into your diet.  Here are some of my favorite ways to serve kale.

Kale Salad:
Fresh kale, torn into bite sized pieces
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
1 to 2 tsp honey
Squeeze of lemon juice

Whisk the dressing together, add the kale to the bowl, toss to combine.  Apple, avocado, and radishes, would be great additions, add whatever you like.

Toss it along with any vegetable you like and roast in the oven, like Kale and Beets .
Or, just make kale chips by tossing it with olive oil, salt and pepper, roasting at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes until crispy.  I've even seen chocolate kale chips... I don't know about all that, but go loco.   Whatever helps get kale into your belly.

Comments

Popular Posts